F 850 GS
Adventure in the blood.
You live for the challenge. Where others turn back, you ride on. Overcome boundaries. Obstacles are transformed into possibilities. Adventure flows through your veins. Atop the F 850 GS, you will easily master the offroad track thanks to the 21 inch front tyre. What matters is that your attitude and curiosity spur you on – regardless of how far you want to travel with the F 850 GS. And regardless of whether you take it through the mud: With the ex factory option Connectivity, you have access to the navigation, telephone, media and vehicle-relevant data at all times. Clear and concise on a 6.5 inch TFT-display – without any distractions. Giving you more time for what is important. And allowing you to discover what lies over the horizon.
Even more GS.
A strong look: you and your F 850 GS with the characteristic flyline. When it comes to design, the sense of adventure can be felt on every surface, in every corner and lineof the motorcycle. From the rear, the front tank right up to the LED headlamps, whose daytime running lights are reminding of a tilted tuning fork and are available as an optional equipment, the design elements are trimmed to offroad, while you are attuned to unique tours from head to toe. The galvanised radiator blind for the Rallye and Exclusive styles give you a cool appearance both on the road and offroad.
The inner drive.
Curiosity and a thirst for discovery are your drive. The twin-cylinder in-line engine, with its 70 kW (95 HP), supports you in every endeavour – its strengths are a high torque and zippy character. The strong sound of the engine impresses whilst working economically and delivering an impressive performance at all times. Discover the unknown with the F 850 GS!
In your element.
Your head is free, your gaze focused on the road ahead. Almost instinctively you steer, shift and brake the F 850 GS – an inimitable handling: you are in your element, fully focussed on your adventure. And thanks to the GS-typical ergonomics, you ride upright and confidently, meaning you always want to go on.
Are you a strong character? Then your F 850 GS should certainly have unforgettable features. The Exclusive style, besides the Pollux metallic matt colour, offers a gold-anodised suspension fork and a galvanised radiator trim. Both highlight the high quality of the motorcycle. Hand protectors and a black-grey seat bench skilfully round off the style.
Do you fancy a sporty look and are daring offroad? The Rallye style gives you even more dynamism when atop your F 850 GS, because it sets striking accents with its gold-anodised rims, black red seat bench, hand protectors and galvanised radiator trim – this also involves the exclusive paintwork from the Light white, Racing red and Lupin blue metallic colours.
|Type||Water-cooled 4-stroke in-line two-cylinder engine, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts, dry sump
|Bore x stroke||84 mm x 77 mm|
|Rated output||70 kW (95 hp) at 8,250 rpm
OE output reduction 35 kW (48 hp) at 6,500 rpm
OE RON91 unleaded regular fuel: 66 kW (90 hp) at 8,000 rpm
|Max. torque||92 Nm at 6,250 rpm
OE output reduction: 63 Nm at 4,500 rpm
OE RON91 unleaded regular fuel: 86 Nm at 6,250 rpm
|Compression ratio||12.7 : 1|
|Mixture control / engine management||Electronic injection|
|Emission standard||Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-4|
|Performance / fuel consumption|
|Maximum speed||over 200 km/h|
|Consumption w.r.t WMTC for 100km||4.1 l|
|Fuel type||Unleaded super, minimum octane number 95 (RON)
OE unleaded regular fuel, minimum octane number 91 (RON)
|Alternator||permanent magnetic alternator 416 W (nominal power)|
|Battery||12 V / 10 Ah, maintenance-free|
|Clutch||Multiple-disc wet clutch (anti hopping), mechanically operated|
|Gearbox||Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox integrated in crankcase|
|Drive||Endless O-ring chain with shock damping in rear wheel hub|
|Chassis / brakes|
|Frame||Bridge-type frame, steel shell construction|
|Front wheel location / suspension||Upside-down telescopic fork, Ø 43 mm|
|Rear wheel location / suspension||Cast aluminium dual swing arm, central WAD spring strut, spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable, rebound
|Suspension travel front / rear||204 mm / 219 mm(OE: suspension lowering kit 184 mm / 199 mm)|
|Steering head angle||62°|
|Wheels||Cross spoke wheels|
|Rim, front||2.15 x 21″|
|Rim, rear||4.25 x 17″|
|Tyres, front||90/90 21|
|Tyres, rear||150/70 R17|
|Brake, front||Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, Ø 305 mm, double-piston floating caliper|
|Brake, rear||Single disc brake, Ø 265 mm, single-piston floating caliper|
|ABS||BMW Motorrad ABS (disengageable)|
|Dimensions / weights|
|Width (incl. mirrors)||922 mm|
|Height (excl. mirrors)||1,356 mm|
|Seat height, unladen weight||860 mm (OE suspension lowering kit: 815 mm, OE low seat: 835 mm, OE comfort seat: 875 mm, OA rallye seat: 890 mm)|
|Inner leg curve, unladen weight||1,910 mm (OE suspension lowering kit: 1,830 mm, OE low seat: 1,870 mm, OE comfort seat: 1,950 mm, OA
rallye seat: 1,980 mm)
|Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1)||229 kg|
|Permitted total weight||445 kg|
|Payload (with standard equipment)||216 kg|
|Usable tank volume||15 l|
|Reserve||approx. 3.5 l|
Technical data relate to the unladen weight (DIN)
1) According to guideline VO (EU) 168/2013 with all fluids, with standard equipment and fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume.
Original BMW Motorrad accessories for F 850 GS
With its design, comfort, motorisation and safety features, the F 850 GS is ideally prepared for the challenges of city traffic. Furthermore, there are even more opportunities to adapt it to your needs.
HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
HP sports silencer
• Slip-on silencer for throaty sound and sporty looks
• Silencer is all titanium (shell, connecting pipe and internals)
• End cap and heat shield made of carbon
• Weighs less than a production silencer
• Increased torque at low to midrange rpm, power at the level of the standard configuration
• Black plastic case
• Case capacity can be adjusted by moving a bar
• Capacity: approx. 20-29 l (right), approx. 30-39 l (left)
• Innovative mechanism for attachment to the vehicle
• Optional: liners
• Tank bag with splash-proof cable hole
• Water-repellent outside pockets with zip fastener
• Integrated rain hood with map view
• All-round stabilising function bar allows attachment of a map pocket or additional luggage
ERGONOMICS AND COMFORT
• Better grip and improved vehicle control when riding off-road and when standing up
• Tread material and shape prevent the foot from slipping
• Length of tread: 90 mm
• Precision-cast highly-alloyed stainless steel
• Unhindered operation of gearshift and footbrake levers (no change in height of the footrests)
Windscreen, small, clear
• Sporty look with good wind and weather protection
• Lower (by approximately 105 mm) than standard windscreen on the F 850 GS, but with same width
• Identical to the standard windscreen on the F 750 GS
• Scratchproof coating for unimpaired long-term transparency
• General Operating Permit
Rallye motorcycle seat
• Increased seat firmness for off-road riding
• Lower seat width than standard seat
• Slim and narrow silhouette underscores the Enduro look
• Approved for 2 persons (reduced passenger comfort)
• Colour: Black/grey
BMW Motorrad Navigator VI
Enjoy the best rides of your life.
Let the new Navigator VI take you on some of the best rides of your life. The large 5 inch touchscreen will show you the way to unlimited riding enjoyment. The display features a circular polarization filter (CPOL) that minimizes reflections while improving the contrast and guarantees optimal readability even in direct sunlight. Experience new routes and destinations using the “Curvy Roads“ planning option, the “Avoid larger main roads“ feature, and the “Round trip“ function for round trips by time, distance or intermediate destination. To help you enjoy the best views along the way, the “Natural Guidance” prompts provide you with a precise description of the surrounding area. You set the soundtrack for your journey: with Bluetooth technology and the new “Music Streaming” feature you can listen to titles stored on your smartphone. Be the director and control compatible “Action Cams” directly from the navigator.
The optional “Smartphone Link” app will keep you up to date with real-time traffic information and weather predictions. The “4-Button Mount” facilitates a convenient operation of all relevant functions during the journey.
You’ll also receive free lifelong updates to the preinstalled map data.
One more thing: with the optional car installation kit, the Navigator VI is also the ideal travel companion in your car.
BMW Motorrad Navigator V
Enjoy the best rides of your life.
The Navigator V with the large 5″ TFT colour display is the perfect electronic scout for committed bikers. The BaseCamp software lets you plan your favourite routes down to the very last detail. Pick the quickest or the shortest route, or go with the “twisting roads” option if you prefer the most exciting. The smartphone link app option for traffic information in real time plus weather forecasts tells you exactly what you need to know right when you need it. TTS navigation announcements with detailed descriptions of your surroundings will keep you informed about everything around you on your chosen route. Bluetooth technology and the optional BMW Motorrad communication system transmit routing instructions straight to your helmet by wireless link, and you can use the handsfree function for phone calls.
Map data come pre-installed, and you have lifelong free updates.
BMW Motorrad Smartphone Cradle
• Dust- and waterproof hardcase for smartphone with window and charging port
• Smartphone can be recharged either by micro-USB or by wireless link using the Qi standard²
• Cradle can be turned 90° for viewing in landscape or portrait format
• Suitable for displays up to 5″, height up to 13.8 cm, width up to 7.3 cm, thickness up to 1.1 cm
• Fits the vehicle-specific brackets for the BMW Motorrad Navigator³
² Only for Qi-compatible smartphones (Qi is a standard for wireless energy transmission by electromagnetic induction over short distances)
³ Not included in the scope of supply
Aluminium enduro engine guard
• Robust shield made of aluminium, 2 mm thick, anodised
• Protects the bottom of the engine against flying stones and contact with the ground or obstacles
• Considerably longer and wider than the standard engine guard
• Enhances the machine’s off-road character
• Bracket is made of special steel
• Protects the headlight against flying stones when the motorcycle is used off-road
• Simple and fast installation and removal of the headlight guard with snap-lock couplings. The snap-lock couplings are fixed to the motorcycle.
• For off-roading only
For LED headlights only
LED additional headlight
• Powerful LED auxiliary headlight in die-cast aluminium housing
• More safety on the road: better vision and better visibility
• LEDs are so long-lasting as to be virtually wear-free, so operation is fault-free and maintenance-free as well
• Diameter approx. 70 mm, length approx. 110 mm
MAINTENANCE AND TECHNICAL DETAILS
Automatic Chain-lubrication system
• Continuous lubrication of the drive chain
• Reduction of maintenance outlay and upkeep
• Extension of the service life of the chain
*The special equipment or optional accessories listed on this page are only an excerpt from the latest BMW Motorrad customization range. All special equipment, optional accessories and packages can be found in the BMW Motorrad configurator.